Grainne O’ Neill Essay Competition
We recently heard the superb news that Hari Parimkayala (TY student) has reached the final of the National Grainne O’ Neill Essay competition. The awards ceremony will be held in the President’s Hall, Law Society of Ireland, Blackhall Place, Dublin 7 on 23 March. The standard of essays submitted was extremely high and it is a tremendous achievement for Hari to reach this stage. We wish her well next week.
Women in Sport Week
Last week, the PE Department coordinated an action – packed week to highlight the importance of sport. As part of this, a number of well – known Wexford sporting personalities came to speak to various year groups and provide training sessions in their respective sports, as outlined below.
We thank the PE Department for organising this inspiring week.
|Day||Guest Speaker/Coaching Session||Profile|
|Friday||Rihanna Jarrett||Republic of Ireland Football, Wexford Youths|
|Monday||1. Katie Fitzhenry
2. Robyn O’Connor
Ex International Senior Rugby – Irish Rugby Coach
U-18 Irish Rugby Player
|Tuesday||Marie Breen||Iron Woman|
|Wednesday||Ciara O’Leary||Irish U-18 Hockey, Irish Masters’ Hockey|
|Thursday||Michelle O’Neill||International Soccer Referee|
|Friday||Kate Kelly||County Camogie Player – 9 All Star Awards|
International Women’s Day
In tandem with Women in Sport week, Wednesday, 8 March marked International Women’s Day. As part of this, our 6th Year students were invited to bring an inspirational female in their lives to school for a chat and refreshments.
- Congratulations to our U-14 football team on a comprehensive victory against Ardscoil na Trionoide, Athy.
- In hockey news, congratulations to our 1st year students who defeated Ursuline, Waterford 3-0. Commiserations to our Senior – B team who lost out on penalties in their semi-final against Kilkenny College. For our 6th years, this marked their final appearance for Loreto, Wexford. We thank Aoife Cullen, Helen Barry, Lizzie Walsh, Heather O’Leary, Sarah Taaffe, Sophie Mahon and Patricia Gallagher for their commitment over the years.
- An important letter to families was posted online last Friday. It is available here.
- Our TY students continue to experience a range of activities. You are invited to click on their dedicated page to get a flavour of their programme. Their work experience will commence next week and we wish them well in their respective roles.
- Thursday and Friday, 16 and 17 March – school closed for St Patrick’s Day
- Monday, 20 March – Spring General Meeting of Parents, starting at 18.00.
- Monday 20 March – Friday, 31 March – TY Work Experience
- Friday, 31 March – Easter holidays begin