Students’ Council

Students’ Council

The BOM has established a Students’ Council in fulfilment of section 27 of the Education Act, 1998.

The Board acknowledges the valuable contribution that students can make to the effectiveness of their school and considers their meaningful involvement in the operation of the school to be a valuable part of their education process. A financial grant is made available to the Students’ Council by the BOM each year to help cover its expenses.

The general objectives of the Students’ Council are:

  • To enhance communication between students, management, staff and parents
  • To promote an environment conducive to educational and personal development
  • To promote friendship and respect among students
  • To support the management and staff in the development of the school
  • To assist with policy development by its representation on the School Planning Group Sub-Committee
  • To represent the views of students on matters of concern to them

Membership of the Students’ Council will be as follows:

  1. Two elected representatives from each year group in the school with 120 students
  1. Three elected representatives from each year group in the school with 150 students
  1. Head Girls (ex-officio member)

The Students’ Council operates in accordance with its constitution for conducting its meetings and business. This constitution is included in Appendix 5.

The Principal and/or Mr. Broderick will attend all meetings of the Students’ Council in a non-voting capacity.

Meetings of the Council will generally be held on a fortnightly basis at lunchtime.

The members of the Students’ Council for 2021/2022 are as follows:

1st year Jane Byrne Isobel McDermott Sophie Tyrrell
2nd year Keeva Molony Robyn Wiggins Molly Donoghue
3rd year Katie Kehoe Finna Donoghue Malavika Manoj
4th year Maria Fortune Ella Carley Charlotte Buckley
5th year Cora Hackett Maeve Hayes Alannah Wogan
6th year Hannah Devereux Sarah Cummings Nessa Dunne
Head Girls Chloe Fortune KatieBeth Gaynor


Annual Calendar of Events

Month Event
September Election/appointment of new Students’ Council

Team-building activity

Fortnightly meetings

Meeting with Principal

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

October Fortnightly meetings

Attendance at Loreto schools training session for Students’ Councils

Attendance at Comhairle na nOg

Planning for Random Acts of Kindness Week

Survey of students on lunchtime activities

Assisting with parent-teacher meetings

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

November Fortnightly meetings

Random Acts of Kindness Week

Assisting with school musical

Assisting with parent-teacher meetings

Meeting with Principal

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

December Fortnightly meetings

Assisting with parent-teacher meetings

Meeting with another school’s Students’ Council

Christmas lunch with Loreto Parents’ Council

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

January Fortnightly meetings

Assisting with parent-teacher meetings

Meeting with Principal

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

February Fortnightly meetings

Assisting with parent-teacher meetings

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

March Fortnightly meetings

Assisting with parent-teacher meetings

Sports Day

Meeting with Principal

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

April Fortnightly meetings

Planning for annual school prize-giving

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

May Fortnightly meetings

Reflection/evaluation of year’s events

Meeting with Principal

Assisting with annual school prize-giving

“Treat event” for Students’ Council

Representation on School Planning Committee

Collection of news items/photos for school website

Monthly report on school website

Notes

  1. The Students’ Council will be assisted throughout the year by a member of the school’s management team, Mr. Broderick.
  2. The above calendar of events is not exhaustive. Other events may be planned by the Council as it sees fit.

Student’s Council

Meeting minutes 26 April 2022

Minutes

  • We discussed the themes for the upcoming annual sports day which are as follows:

     6th Year- Icons

     5th Year- Musicals

     4th Year- Decades

     3rd Year- Memes/Vines/Tik-Toks

     2nd Year- TV Shows

     1st Years- Disney

  • Members of Students council went around to all the classes in the school encouraging the students who have never experienced sports day to adhere to their theme as much as possible in order to keep up this tradition.
  • A member of students council attended the ISSU zoom call last weekend where they emphasised the need for students to work alongside the green schools committee to promote an eco-friendly school environment.
  • The role of climate officer is to be appointed to the students council next year and the climate officer will work closely with both green schools and students council.

Student’s Council

Meeting minutes 1 March 2022

Attendance: 

1st Year – Isabel McDermott, Jane Byrne

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

4th Year – Ella Carley, Maria Fortune

5th Year – Alannah Wogan

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Hannah Devereux, Nessa Dunne

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune, Katie Beth Gaynor

Apologies

Sophie Tyrrell, Keeva Molony, Robyn Wiggins, Molly Donoghue, Cora Hackett, Maeve Hayes, Charlotte Buckley.

Minutes

  • We held a discussion surrounding the new phone rule and bathroom policy.
  • A discussion was held surrounding a possible new initiative of planting flowers as a year group whilst coming into the springtime. This will be discussed further with the green schools committee.
  • The council plans to hold the annual Easter egg hunt on the last week before the holidays.
  • Many discussions were held around in favour of the 40 minute lunchtime against the 1 hour lunchtime, as many believed it would be more favourable for students and staff to finish school early to allow more time for after school study and after school extra-curricular activities.
  • A discussion was held on the topic of the long lunch queues. Many were in favour of ordering food from oven-door in the morning, the system of which was in place in Spawell road, and collecting it quickly at lunchtime in order to prevent long queues and congestion. There was a suggestion that perhaps a rota of transition year students could help Glenda one-lunchtime a week, and thus use that volunteer time towards their Gaisce award. Also, the council is in favour of the returning of hot water in jugs in order to cut down Glenda queues once again.

Student’s Council

Meeting minutes 14 December 2021

Attendance: 

1st Year – Isabel McDermott, Jane Byrne

2nd Year – Keeva Molony, Robyn Wiggins

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

4th Year – Ella Carley, Charlotte Buckley

5th Year – Alannah Wogan

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Hannah Devereux

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune, Katie Beth Gaynor

Apologies

Sophie Tyrrell, Molly Donoghue, Maria Fortune, Cora Hackett, Maeve Hayes and Nessa Dunne were absent, all sent apologies.  

Minutes

Christmas

Hannah and Sarah discussed possible ideas for Christmas, competition for elf to find the elf on the shelf for the last three days of school, Christmas music to be played in the morning as suggested by Mr O’Shea, announcements on the intercom during the quiz perhaps to say for example “ anybody with a pink mask come down to get sweets” and the first to come down wins. 

Roles for Christmas Week

Katiebeth will write the message for the TV to find the elf on each of the days – something like a wanted poster, Isobel and Jane will write the message for Betty to call out on the intercom and split the duties for playing the music throughout the week each morning. 

Bins

Ella suggested that due to the large accumulation of rubbish by the bus stops that perhaps the council should write a letter to the council requesting a bin to be placed by the stops, she will write a letter requesting for this to happen. 

Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Students’ Council is on Tuesday 21st of December at 15.45pm.   


Student’s Council

Meeting minutes 30 November 2021

Attendance

1st Year – Isabel McDermott

2nd Year – Keeva Molony, Robyn Wiggins, Molly Donoghue

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

4th Year – Maria Fortune, Ella Carley

5th Year – Cora Hackett, Alannah Wogan

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Nessa Dunne

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune

Apologies

Jane Byrne, Sophie Tyrrell, Charlotte Buckley, Maeve Haye, Hannah Devereux and Katiebeth Gaynor all sent apologies.

Minutes

Health Policy

Ms Kennedy spoke to the council about the Healthy Living policy which she is in charge of, she explained to us the four pillars and also the reasoning behind her speaking to us; she wishes to get a real view of students on such issues within the school and how modules such as Manuela or SPHE are impacting classes. In order to get a voice from each year one student from each year group volunteered to be on a team to help with the Healthy Living Policy.

Meeting

It was brought to the attention of the council by Chloe Fortune that Mr O’Shea has requested a meeting. This was discussed and plans may be put in place for this to occur.

Taps

Hannah and Sarah went to Peter about the taps within the school not being turned on, he explained that this was done at the request of Mr O’Shea as they were a safety issue due to the boil water notice in place in Wexford.

Random Acts of Kindness Week

Following the random acts of kindness week ran by the student council, we learned that the week benifitted students and it went considerably well but one thing we would like to improve on for the future is the way the bingo is ran as many people were unable to get the numbers called on the intercom.

Christmas

The council discussed possible ideas for what we could do for the run up to Christmas, Sarah suggested the elf on the shelf which ran successfully last year and also perhaps some sort of competition – more will be discussed on this next week.

Radiators

Cora Hackett raised the issue of radiators not being on for study and so she will speak to Peter about turning them on for evening study insofar that they are needed.

Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Students’ Council is on Tuesday 7th of December at 15.45pm.


Student’s Council

Meeting minutes 9 November 2021

Attendance

1st Year – Isabel McDermott

2nd Year – Keeva Molony, Robyn Wiggins, Molly Donoghue

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

4th Year – Maria Fortune

5th Year – Cora Hackett

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Hannah Devereux, Nessa Dunne

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune, Katie Beth Gaynor

Apologies

Jane Byrne, Sophie Tyrell, Charlotte Buckley, Ella Carley, Maeve Hayes, Alannah Wogan

Minutes

Parent/Teacher Meeting

Members of the student council were present at the 6th year Parent teacher meeting on Wednesday in which they assisted parents.

Random acts of kindness week

22nd-26th The students council intend to purchase sweets and lay them out individually wrapped on a table at the far side of the sanitising stations. The idea is that students will sanitise upon entry and then pick up a sweet off the table. Students council members will be present to supervise that this is being adhered to. Posters and announcements are being organised by individual members. Bingo is also being looked at as an option, whereby bingo numbers will be announced daily in the morning or evening.

Comhairle na nOg

Two members of the students council were present at the recent Comhairle na nOg in which they learned about Mental Health.

Discussion

A discussion was held surrounding issues regarding school toilets and school taps.

ISSU

A member of the students council will be representing Loreto at the ISSU meeting in Enniscorthy this Thursday.


Student’s Council

Meeting minutes 2 November 2021

Attendance

1st Year – Jane Byrne, Isabel McDermott, Sophie Tyrell

2nd Year – Keeva Molony, Robyn Wiggins, Molly Donoghue

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

4th Year – Maria Fortune

5th Year – Cora Hackett, Maeve Hayes

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Nessa Dunne

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune, Katie Beth Gaynor

Apologies

Charlotte Buckley, Ella Carley, Hannah Deveruex, Alannah Wogan

Minutes

Random Acts of Kindness Week

We started discussions for random acts of kindness week in which we came up with the ideas of sticky notes on the lockers as a kind gesture, lollipops etc.. We intend to encourage the school community that a kind gesture does not need to be money-based, that kind gestures can be compliments or helping one another. We intend to place a table in front of the Students council board, where sticky notes will be available for students to write one kind gesture they did and share it on the noticeboard. We also intend on writing positive quotes for the intercom every day of the week. The students council intend to hand out sweets one morning as our random act of kindness.

Students’ Council Noticeboard

Malavika and Katie will be taking care of and decorating the students council noticeboard.


Students’ Council

Meeting minutes 12 October 2020

Attendance

1st Year – Jane Byrne, Isabel McDermott

2nd Year – Keeva Molony, Robyn Wiggins, Molly Donoghue

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

4th Year – Maria Fortune, Charlotte Buckley

5th Year – Cora Hackett, Maeve Hayes, Alannah Wogan

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Hannah Devereux, Nessa Dunne

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune, Katie Beth Gaynor

Apologies

Sophie Tyrell, Ella Carley

Minutes

Halloween Dress Up Day

The Students Council discussed the upcoming Halloween dress up day next Friday the 22nd. We discussed the possibility of a picture to be taken of the best dressed and most creative costumes. We also discussed if students would wear their uniform in the event that the student didn’t want to participate in the dress up day. Upon reflection later in the week, Mr.Broderick informed us that the first years are organising the dress up day.

Students Council Bonding

A bonding pizza lunchtime for the students council was kindly organised for us by Mr. O’Shea. This took place on Thursday the 14th October at 12.25. Students who were absent from class due to staggered lunchtime informed their teachers in advance of their absenteeism. The Students council and Mr. Broderick greatly enjoyed the bonding lunchtime as it allowed us to chat and get to know many students from different years. We would like to thank Mr. O’Shea for organising the bonding lunchtime for us.

 

Next Meeting: Tuesday 19 October 2021 at 12.25 in Selskar.


Students’ Council

Meeting minutes 5 October 2021

Attendance

1st Year – Jane Byrne, Isabel McDermott, Sophie Tyrell

2nd Year – Molly Donoghue

3rd Year – Katie Kehoe

4th Year – Maria Fortune, Ella Carley, Charlotte Buckley

5th Year – Cora Hackett, Maeve Hayes, Alannah Wogan

6th Year – Sarah Cummings, Hannah Devereux, Nessa Dunne

Head Girls – Chloe Fortune, Katie Beth Gaynor

Apologies

Keeva Molony, Finna Donoghue, Malavika Manoj

 Minutes

GOAL Jersey Day

Mr. Broderick assigned all members of the Students’ council a corridor in which they will collect the money for the GOAL charity jersey day taking place on Friday the 8th of October. Members will collect buckets from Mr. Broderick in the GP area, and proceed to their assigned corridors in which they will collect the money.

Mental Health Week

We discussed a number of ideas for the possibility of a Mental Health days or Mental Health week  from the 13th -15th October, or the following week beginning the 18th of October.

A number of possibilities were discussed such as:

  • The wearing of Colourful accessories to promote positive mental wellbeing on Friday the 15th October (such as socks,hairbands,earrings etc..). Two members of the council will check with Miss O’Reilly to see if this will be possible.
  • TY’s were asked if they could make a number of posters about different kinds of mental illnesses in order to raise awareness, and inform students about mental illness.
  • The prosperity of a notice board being used as a “Loan Library” for the week was also discussed. The idea of the “Loan Library” was that students would anonymously submit stories of their struggles with mental illness. The stories would then be shared on the notice board. Thus would show students who are perhaps struggling with mental health related issues that they are not alone with their struggles.
  • Meditation or a meditative walk in the park during a non-exam class was also suggested. Students will check with Miss O’Reilly to see if this will be possible.
  • The idea of making announcements throughout the week about positive mental wellbeing was also discussed.
  • The council decided that the respective students who were asked to speak to members of staff about the week and gather more information about the week, will do so. Further discussion will be held about this topic at the next meeting.

 

Date for the next meeting: Tuesday the 12 October 2021 at 3:45 in Selskar.