St. John Paul 11 Newsletter
A group of Transition Year students are working towards getting the Saint John Paul II Award.
As part of the award, they have decided to create a newsletter to bring some happiness and joy into the Loreto Community during these hard times and in a further attempt to stay connected.
Enjoy our first newsletter by clicking here.
This newsletter was created by: Kiera Dempsey, Rayna Forte, Laragh Frawley, Nina Brady, Tara Lee Doyle, Helen Barry, Avril Rochford, Nicole Power, Somer Penwell, Anoushka Nolan, Grace O’Brien, Rachel Casey, Emily Reilly, Rachel Goff, Ella Kavanagh, Ciara O’Farrell and Chloe Morrissey.
Stay safe and well!
How to Live Sustainably During Lockdown – by Eabha Crosbie and Avril Rochford (TY students)
As part of the Loreto Green Schools Committee, we came up with some ideas on how to live sustainably during lockdown!
The following are our thoughts:
- Try to take shorter showers and avoid taking baths where possible.
- Always make sure to turn off any lights when not using them.
- If you are changing a lightbulb, maybe invest in energy saving lightbulbs.
- Re- think your cooking and cleaning routine. Try to cut down your usage of cling film. Approximately 1.2 billion metres of cling film are used in the UK every year. That is enough to wrap the entire world 30 times! An alternative to cling film is beeswax wraps made from organic cotton, organic jojoba oil, tree resin and they are coated with beeswax. They are 100% recyclable and are biodegradable too.
- You can make your cleaning routine green by using household items you may already have at home as opposed to chemicals in single-use plastics. A home-made cleaning agent consists of bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice and distilled white vinegar.
- While shopping online during quarantine, please consider choosing standard delivery rather than ‘next day’ or ‘express’ delivery as it can help decrease carbon emissions by 30%.
Please make a conscious effort to live a more sustainable life because every little bit you do helps.
Let’s start out 2021 sustainably!
A letter to families will be issued each Friday during the current school closure to keep all members of the Loreto community up-to-date on developments. This week’s letter may be viewed by clicking here.