News round up
• Many people have by now noticed the incredible progress that is being made on the building of our new school. Part of the building is now at roof stage. To see the progress for yourself, please go to www.loretowexford.com and look at the section named photos of the new school.
• Mock examinations continue for another week. Good luck to all 3rd and 6th year students involved.
• The 150 incoming 1st year students and their parents/guardians will attend an Information Meeting in the Talbot Hotel on Wednesday, 15 February from 7.00 to 8.15 p.m.
• Friday next will see many Loreto students on the move. 5th years will head to view the UCD campus whilst later in the day all 4th years will head to see Leinster Rugby play Edinburgh.
• The school will close for the mid-term break on Friday evening and will re-open on Monday, 27 February.
Football report by Lettie Whelan (4.2)
Loreto Wexford took on Scoil Críost Rí (Portlaoise) in the Leinster “A” Final on Thursday, 2 February in Tinryland GAA grounds in horrific conditions.
Loreto Wexford started the brighter when they were awarded a penalty in the second minute. Eve Hession converted brilliantly.
Portlaoise opted to play with the wind in the opening half and took full advantage of it. Emma Lawlor, Portlaoise’s full forward opened the scoring with a well-taken point in the sixth minute. Erone Fitzpatrick pointed a free. The Portlaoise centre forward, Fitzpatrick, was awarded a free with the swirling wind and the ball landed in the top left corner.
Portlaoise never looked back after this and took full advantage of the wind. Emma Lawlor added 5 points before half time. Erone Fitzpatrick added 1-4. The wing back scored a good point before number 4 tapped home with a goal from close range.
Mollie Bates added a point just before the break to leave the score at 4-11 to 1-1 at half time.
Loreto Wexford came out after the break and battled hard.
Sophie Boxwell scored a nice point in the fifth minute. Scores were hard to come by in the second half. The Portlaoise wing forward added two points in quick succession.
Anna Hennessy added a point and Ciara Banville rattled the net close to the end but it was little consolation to the Loreto girls.
The final score was 4-13 to 2-3 and some of the Portlaoise girls had excellent individual performances in particular Emma Lawlor and Erone Fitzpatrick.
Emma Lawlor was named “Player of the Match”.
The entire campaign was a great effort by the Loreto team who should be very proud of their efforts in competing at A grade.
Loreto Wexford: Sally Walker, Caitlin Carroll, Anna Hennessy0-1, Michelle Carty, Liadh Dwyer, Emily Bates, Ciara Banville1-0, Aisling Gouldson, Ciara O’Connor, Niamh Dunne, Eve Hession1-0 penalty , Amy Cousins, Sophie Boxwell0-1, Mollie Bates, Ashling Alouf.
Subs: Ella O’Connor for Amy Cousins, Anna Mulligan for Ella O’Connor (injury), Shauna Hackett for Aisling Gouldson (injury), Sadhbh Cullinane for Sophie Boxwell and Clodagh Walsh for Liadh Dwyer.